Current:Home > reviewsJohn Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs -Streamline Finance
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Poinbank View
Date:2025-04-07 05:07:02
It's been the year of musical chairs in the fashion industry, and now, John Galliano is leaving his longtime home at Maison Margiela.
In an interview with Women's Wear Daily published Wednesday, Galliano confirmed his exit from the French luxury fashion house.
"As we are parting ways with this beautiful house, my heart overflows with joyous gratitude, and my soul smiles so I want to take this time to express it. I continue to atone, and I will never stop dreaming," Galliano told WWD.
He continued: "In inviting me to assume the position of artistic director in the house that Martin (Margiela) built, he gave me the greatest, most precious gift: The opportunity to once again find my creative voice when I had become voiceless."
The comments were made in reference to his infamous 2011 ouster from Christian Dior after a video surfaced of a 2011 rant at a Paris bar, where he made comments considered racist and antisemitic. That year, he was found guilty for two hate crimes. It followed a separate, similar incident at the same bar in 2010 a year earlier.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But in 2014, Galliano made a career comeback at Margiela.
"Being brave enough to unlearn, to re-educate ourselves from the past – for it is societally learnt – to share, empathize, and practice compassion," he added.
Galliano continued, praising Margiela parent company president Renzo Russo who he said "took a risk" and gave him "a second chance," telling WWD that his hiring "told the fashion industry that it is at its best when we collectively support each other, not judge; when we accept, forgive, and help one another see the error of our ways."
Alessandro Michele named new creativedirector of Valentino after Gucci departure
Earlier this year, ex-Gucci head Alessandro Michele got back in his creative director bag, this time at Valentino, following Pier Paolo Piccioli's exit.
"Maison Valentino is honored to announce today the appointment of Alessandro Michele as Creative Director," the brand announced in a statement shared to social media at the time. "This appointment marks the beginning of a new journey to continue shining unique values of the brand, its heritage and couture codes in the world through Alessandro Michele’s unique perspective and wealth of experience."
Michele called the appointment "an incredible honor," adding, "I feel the immense joy and the huge responsibility to join a Maison de Couture that has the word 'beauty' carved on a collective story, made of distinctive elegance, refinement and extreme grace."
Chanel is also facing a shakeup as fashion onlookers await the naming of a new fashion creative director. WWD reported last month that Matthieu Blazy, the Bottega Veneta creative director, is a frontrunner for the brand's top spot.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (58946)
Related
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- How a student's friendship with Auburn coach Bruce Pearl gave him the strength to beat leukemia
- Here are the top reactions to Caitlin Clark becoming the NCAA's most prolific scorer
- Would your Stanley cup take a bullet for you? Ohio woman says her tumbler saved her life
- Chuck Scarborough signs off: Hoda Kotb, Al Roker tribute legendary New York anchor
- 'The Black Dog': Taylor Swift announces fourth and final version of 'Tortured Poets'
- Watch: Caitlin Clark breaks Pete Maravich's NCAA scoring record
- Jake Paul vs. Ryan Bourland live updates: How to watch, stream Jake Paul fight card
- Rolling Loud 2024: Lineup, how to stream the world's largest hip hop music festival
- Kourtney Kardashian and Travis Barker's Baby Boy Rocky Follows in Dad's Footsteps in Rare Photo
Ranking
- New data highlights 'achievement gap' for students in the US
- Vice President Kamala Harris to join in marking anniversary of Bloody Sunday on Alabama bridge
- What to know about viewing and recording the solar eclipse with your cellphone camera
- Black women struggle to find their way in a job world where diversity is under attack
- Paige Bueckers vs. Hannah Hidalgo highlights women's basketball games to watch
- Fans gather to say goodbye to Flaco the owl in New York City memorial
- Where are people under the most financial stress? See the list of top 10 American cities
- Giants manager Bob Melvin implements new policy for national anthem
Recommendation
The city of Chicago is ordered to pay nearly $80M for a police chase that killed a 10
Body of missing Florida teen Madeline Soto found, sheriff says
Mi abuela es un meme y es un poco por mi culpa
Man charged with attacking police in Times Square, vilified in Trump ad, was misidentified, DA says
Biden administration makes final diplomatic push for stability across a turbulent Mideast
Vice President Kamala Harris to join in marking anniversary of Bloody Sunday on Alabama bridge
How are big names like Soto, Ohtani, Burnes doing with new teams in MLB spring training?
PHOTOS: What it's like to be 72 — the faces (and wisdom) behind the age